Well, this should take us down a peg…
Someone polled more than 1,100 radio hosts and asked a bunch of questions about how we do our jobs.
But they also mixed in a few mildly INSULTING questions that we loved. And here are the results…
The best question they asked was, “Do you think you have a FACE FOR RADIO?” And 28% admitted that YES, I probably do.
That includes 11% who STRONGLY agreed. And male hosts were about twice as likely to say they have a “face for radio” than female hosts.
But here’s our favorite stat: 39% admitted they’ve dated a LISTENER before, including 7% who ended up MARRYING one. So if you’re willing to deal with our HIDEOUSNESS, you might have a shot?
Despite that, almost no one said all that ACTION is a motivator for choosing this as a career. Only 1% named “sex” as one of their main reasons for working in radio.
Here are the top ten reasons we work in radio, according to the survey…
1. It’s fun. 80% agreed that’s one of their top reasons.
2. Entertaining people, 73%.
3. It’s emotionally fulfilling, 57%.
4. It’s the ONLY thing I know how to do, or it’s what I do best, 50%.
5. Supporting the community, 46%.
6. Informing people, 46%.
7. Being able to connect with a large number of people, 45%.
8. Because it’s fun being part of a team, 39%.
9. It’s just all about the music, 35%.
10. Hey, it’s a living, 31%.
Only 14% said MONEY is a main factor . . . just 6% said FAME is what motivates them . . . and 1% said they do it for the CONSTANT HOOK-UPS.
As far as what’s hardest about the job . . . 37% said they spend over nine hours a day at work. And 49% were forced to take the weekend or overnight shift when they were just starting out.